England secure 2nd place in group 2, despite defeat to Turkey!

4 years ago by in Uncategorized

ENGLAND 3 – 4 Turkey

(Farguharson, Temple & Bowes)


England went in to today’s game sitting 3 points off group leaders, Azerbaijan. They faced a Turkey side who had yet to win a game in the group.


Turkey started the period strong, holding possession well and breaking forward, only to be stopped by Clarke, who made an excellent recovery run, cutting off the attack and winning England’s first set piece of the game; the resulting free kick was saved well. Day showed he was still a handful, producing a bicycle kick, which was blocked by a recovering defending. England remained strong at the back, holding their shape and frustrating the Turkish team. Several England chances just flew wide of the post as England pushed for an opening goal. Clarke made several dazzling runs forward and after linking up well with day, appeared to be hacked down but the referee’s disagreed and nothing was given. Moments later, Clarke found himself one on one with the keeper, he shuffled the ball past him and once again, was brought down, but the ref’s waved claims of a penalty away. Turkey rubbed salt in the wound, as England protested, Turkey broke the deadlock, with a long range volley, sweetly struck, which left Humm with no chance. England continued to produce chances, but the Turkish keeper, managed to cling on to his clean sheet, going in to the second period (0-1).


A quiet second period from both sides, saw England hit the bar from kick off and several saves from Jackson in goal. England backed off in defense, allowing the Turkish keeper a long range effort, which just skimmed the post. A period of little opportunities and few chances, ended with a spectacular bicycle kick from the opposition, which increased the deficit to 2 goals going into the third period. (0-2)


England came into the third period, like men on a mission. Farquharson clawed a goal back, skipping past his marker and drilling the ball into the top left corner, his second goal of the tournament. The goal was quickly followed by another wave of attack from England which saw a Lawson bicycle kick, just saved. As England pushed for the equalizer, Turkey broke free, Humm producing an excellent one on one save, keeping England in the game. However, it would be Turkey who scored the next goal, with a brilliant bit of individual skill; a back heel into the bottom corner. Soon after, England found themselves 3 goals behind, a block from Farquharson, fell kindly to an on rushing Turkish player, who slotted the ball past Humm. The game seemed to be over but a late push from England saw Temple replicate Faraquharson earlier goal, the ball flying in off the crossbar. Bowes scored England’s third with less than a minute remaining, but Turkey held strong and saw out the 4-3 win.


Despite defeat, England finished 2nd in their group, on goal difference. They will now face Estonia in their final game of the tournament (time tbc).

Follow us on FacebookTwitter & Instagram for updates on the Lions journey in Catania.




iyhh khd kkkl kko0 l llo lo oj ojk oo ouo